Welcome to the Matlock Area U3A
To find more information about the MAU3A and the local area as a new visitor or what’s happening if you are an existing member you can either choose from the full set of dropdown menu items above or select any of the shortcut buttons below.
The Matlock Mole
Uncovering group activities
Keeping in touch with our groups.
With the easing of lock down restrictions many of our groups are meeting again in small groups – both outside and inside.
It’s great to be tapping again!
The Tap Group have returned to Starkholmes Village Hall
Garden group enjoying a pre-Covid visit to Wentworth Gardens. From coach trips to gardens far afield, to visits to our own members’ gardens, the garden group loves to share plants and a chat over tea and cakes
Keith leads the Local History Group on a tour of Darley Dale, their first face-to-face meeting since February 2020
New members always welcome in all our activity groups
Highlighting interesting features
On Wednesday 2nd June 2021. Matlock Area u3a joined in with the National initiative to celebrate what we do. See how it went….
Happy Snapper – Why not try our “Six of a Sort” photo challenge? Just send us six pictures on any theme of your choice. Follow the link to find out how you can join in. Or try Liz’s “Source these Stones” photo quiz.
See what Hall Leys Park was like in April 2020.
A haiku is a Japanese verse form most often composed, in English versions, of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. Will has composed a few haikus to describe a number of birds. Can you decipher what they are?
See who has visited Ralph’s garden
This iconic building overseeing Matlock is easily recognisable, are you able to recognise more local buildings?
Thank you for voting for your Wimbledon Favourite, the scores are now in and the results are: Rafael Nadal and Chris Evert Lloyd
Party in the Park Returns
On Saturday 21st August 2021 we will be celebrating the re-opening of Party in the Park with a barbecue, live music and plenty of activities to keep all the family entertained. This event is free to attendees and will be held in partnership with Darley Dale Town Council with all proceeds going towards The Whitworth charity. Keep a look out on www.whitworthcentre.org for more information.
- Coffee Mornings via Zoom have now been suspended during the summer months. Depending on current guidelines Matlock Area u3a will review the option of returning to the Football Club for our Coffee Mornings from September. All members will be informed via the Newsletter of when they will be resumed.
Covid-19 update. England moves into Step 4 of the roadmap
As the country begins to unlock itself, Matlock Area u3a is acutely aware that the virus has not gone away and we all need to be cautious when participating in any activity. The government advice of maintaining ‘hands, face, space and fresh air’ is still relevant.
Many groups are now reviewing their options to continue their activities in larger groups or at inside venues and the guidance for individuals and the vulnerable includes:
- A recommendation that Group leaders complete an appropriate risk assessment/check for your activity and submit to the Group’s Liaison Officer
- A recommendation that Group leaders share this initial risk assessment with their members so they know what to expect and how to prepare for returning
- Members should consider their own circumstances before undertaking to join any activity
- A recommendation that members wear face coverings in crowded areas
Keeping in touch
- WhatsApp calls and Zoom Video Conferencing are enabling some groups to have short online meetings without face-to-face. Notes on Use of Zoom for Personal and MAU3A Communication (01/05/20). How to Share Screen in Zoom (09/02/21)
- Tools for Keeping in Touch (7/04/2020) (Discussion Forums, WhatsApp, Zoom, etc.)
- Access to Books, Film, TV, etc. in Lockdown