Welcome to the new Matlock U3A Mindfulness and Meditation Group.
Why Mindfulness and Meditation ?
The practice of meditation and the use of mindfulness have been shown to help both physical and mental wellbeing.
How do mindfulness and meditation differ?
While mindfulness and meditation are closely related they are not the same.
Mindfulness involves paying more attention to the present moment – to our own thoughts and feelings, and to the world around us, this can improve our mental wellbeing. It is a skill which, once learnt can be used throughout our daily lives. Meditation involves becoming an impartial observer of your own mind, training your mind to notice your thoughts without judging them. It is something that is best practiced regularly.
• to support each other to develop or to maintain regular Mindfulness and Meditation practice.
What we do
• We meet together fortnightly to share a guided meditation practice led by a group member, usually one of the many recorded meditations available.
Share something mindful such as a poem, piece of writing or music or an experience
Share a cup of tea and chat
• Our chairs are comfortable and the room heated but you may like to bring a cushion and/or a blanket for extra comfort.
If you are new to Mindfulness and Meditation
You will probably find it beneficial to use a self help resource to guide your personal practice between the group meetings. One of these is the 8 week programme set out in Mark Williams & Danny Penman 2011 ‘Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world’
We are not therapists or trained Mindfulness or Meditation teachers; we are people who want to share our Mindfulness and Meditation learning journey.
Who can join?
• The group is for anyone who wants to explore mindfulness and meditation, whether you are new to the idea, have may be done a little in the past or have a regular habit of practicing mindfulness meditation you will be welcome to join us.
• If you are not already a member of Matlock U3A you may come along to try us out for up to three sessions. If you wish to continue, we expect you to join (£10 per year)
When will we meet?
On the 2nd and 4th week of each month
• Friday 10am – 11am
• Tansley Village Hall, Upper Room
• £5 for each half term block of meetings to contribute to room hire / tea / coffee.
The Friday group is currently closed to new members.
From Wednesday 1st November 2023, Mindfulness 2 will start
- fortnightly meetings
- 11am – 12noon
- Tansley Village Hall Upper Room
- 9 meetings offering a structured introduction to mindfulness suitable for those who have no experience
- Contribution to cost of room hire / tea / coffee between £5 and £10 for all nine sessions dependent of group numbers.
For more information contact the co-ordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org