The aim of the group is to arrange theatre visits for members, to provide a forum for discussion of plays seen and to host talks by members and invited speakers on all aspects of the theatre.
The Theatre Group meets at All Saints Church Hall on Smedley Street in Matlock on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, except August, from 2.15pm to 4.15pm.
There is normally a charge of £1.00 per member (£2.00 for non-members) at each meeting to cover the cost of room-hire and refreshments.
The groups’ coordinator is Les Small who can be contacted by e-mail
The current programme for theatre visits in 2019, is as follows:
|Wednesday 24 April - Matinee||The Lowry, Manchester||EQUUS||Ticket price £25 - now fully booked.|
|Thursday 2 May - Matinee||Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford||AS YOU LIKE IT||Ticket price £39.50 plus £15 for the coach - now fully booked.|
|Wednesday 12 June - Matinee||Theatre Royal, Nottingham||MINDGAME - psychological thriller by Anthony Horowitz||Ticket price £22|
|Saturday 13 July - Matinee||Tolethorpe Hall||BLITHE SPIRIT||Ticket price £18|
|Wednesday 25 August - Matinee||Kilworth House||CATS||Ticket price £36|
|Thursday 5 December - Matinee||The Curve, Leicester||WEST SIDE STORY||Ticket price £26.50|
Please reserve seats at our meetings or by sending cheques, as soon as possible, to the organiser of the particular event, if listed above. If you do not know their address, they can be contacted by telephone or by email by clicking on their name. Otherwise contact the coordinator for more information. Please send a separate cheque for each production, made out to Matlock Area U3A Theatre Group.
Please note the “Protocol” for Theatre Visits:
- When members book for theatre visits, they commit also to using and paying for the transport provided.
- Payment for the visits will be taken at the time of booking, or as soon as possible afterwards. Please write the name of the production on the back of any cheque payments. An approximate cost of the bus fare will be given and a closing date for booking is always given when visits are announced.
- The cost of hiring the bus, plus a £20 tip for the driver, is divided by the number of members on the bus.
- Payments for the bus will be collected on the bus on the day of travel.
- Tickets will be given out at meetings or on the bus. Members who do not attend meetings should send a SAE to the booker if they wish their tickets to be sent by post.
- Any members subsequently unable to attend, for any reason, will inform the booker who will try to re-allocate the ticket from a waiting list, if there is one. If the tickets have already been issued, the two members concerned will make arrangements for the handover.
- If for whatever reason, due to short notice, a member is unable to attend on the actual day, the “booker” of the production in question must be contacted by telephone as early as possible in order for the bus to depart at the time stipulated. The coach fare will have to be paid.
A recent Theatre Group meeting when a group of ladies from Hardwick Hall came to talk about their characters lives and back story, also how the costumes had been made. A fascinating afternoon!