The group’s members pursue a general interest in language and the way in which we use it. We do this through short presentations and discussions.
The group currently meets via Zoom at noon on the second Monday of the month. As soon as we may, we want to go over to face-to-face meetings and the time will probably change then.
Topics are suggested by members.
Topics studied thus far include:
- Issues of translation from Russian to English, explained to us by one member who has translated the memoirs of a very interesting Russian lady born in 1895
- Words which have been invented in times of national crisis – World Wars, Brexit, climate change and the current pandemic
Future sessions planned are:
- British Sign Language
- More on neologisms! Specifically, “portmanteaus”
Into the future possible topics will be:
- Writing systems; how they have developed; how disused systems are deciphered
- Dialects of English
- Historical developments of languages
- Children’s acquisition of language
- Second language learning
If you would like to join our group, please contact one of the coordinators:
Karen Hale: (e-mail)